News and Views

News and Views

March 11: Free Tax Foreclosure Workshop at Marygrove College

Posted by mgcollege

Mar 7, 2017 1:55:33 PM

ForeclosedhomeFor the third consecutive year, the Institute for Detroit Studies will partner with the United Community Housing Coalition and Michigan Legal Services to present a free Tax Foreclosure Workshop.

Get free, on-site assistance from a trusted non-profit source.

10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Marygrove College
Madame Cadillac Building, Dining Hall

For more information, email


 If you are the owner and occupant of a home in tax foreclosure AND you do not owe taxes prior to 2014 you can save your home from tax foreclosure in about 5 minutes with a Distressed Owner Occupancy Extension (DOOE). All you need to do is complete an application and an income affidavit, and provide:

  1. A copy of your current driver’s license or state ID matching the address of the property in which you live;
  2. A recent DTE bill or other similar documentation showing your name and address; and
  3. Recorded proof of ownership (e.g. a deed).

All documents must have the name of the owner/occupant and match the address on the DOOE application. Any name change (e.g. name change due to marriage) should be explained and documented (e.g. marriage license, divorce judgment, etc.). There are income guidelines for the DOOE, but these may be waived if there’s a hardship. A brief explanation of the hardship should be made on the application and affidavit.

If you are the owner and occupant of a home in tax foreclosure, you MAY also qualify for a reduction in your taxes and a long term (possibly 5 years) payment plan to catch up, regardless of the number of years of taxes owed. Your taxes COULD be reduced by thousands of dollars and you COULD get a payment plan for a few hundred dollars per month. IF YOU DO NOT OWE PRIOR TO 2014 YOU SHOULD STILL DO THE DOOE.

If you are the occupant, but not the owner (due to the owner being a deceased relative), then you COULD get free help to probate the home and take advantage of the tax reduction and payment plan.

If you are buying on land contract or with a mortgage you COULD still lose the home even if you resolve the tax foreclosure--if you are in default of the land contract or mortgage. YOU NEED TO RESOLVE BOTH THE MORTGAGE AND TAX FORECLOSURE ISSUES.

If you are the tenant in a home in tax foreclosure then you COULD be excused from paying rent after April 1, 2017 and you could become the owner, BUT YOU SHOULD NOT PAY YOUR LANDLORD’S TAXES.

















Topics: All Campus News

Recent Posts

Posts by Topic

see all